Monday, June 8, 2009

3 weeks today - June 4, 09

It's been an amazing day, we didn't have school. They just opened up a hair salon at the school that is a place for the students who choose to go to vocational school to learn how to style hair. It's a great thing because hair is such a big business for women in Ghana and it provides them a lot more opportunity for a good job when they finish school. This building was really really nice. Probably one of the nicest I have seen anywhere in Ghana - especially considering it is at the school. It was provided by L'Oreal and people from that company all traveled up from Accra. They had a big celebration for the opening of it including dances performed by some of the students for their guests. They gave out t-shirts and lunch to everyone and it was all a big celebration! I wish I could add video from it but the software here won't allow me to put a video on. But don't worry, I have a lot of videos and pictures so far.

It really is madness when you pull out a camera at school, and the worst is that they all want a picture by themselves :) Tomorrow will not be a very big school day either because it is Friday and Friday never lasts long for school :)

I am really loving it this week, I am finally into the routine of things and becoming so much more comfortable with everything. Three weeks today! So many ups and downs but I wouldn't trade it for anything and I love all of the relationships I am forming here. We had true African food for lunch today with all of the kids and it was really interesting - I don't even know how to describe it but it was delicious - and the chicken was really spicy!! Learning more each day!

No comments:

Post a Comment