Thursday, May 13, 2010

Oh baby

This week has been SO busy. I was at Vernaza hospital in the ER/ICU on Monday, Community on Tuesday and Wednesday, helping to teach CPR on Tuesday, home visits on Wednesday. Went to visit the temple last night.

I'm not tired until we come back to the hotel. Waking up at 6 in the morning every day is hard. But then I'm ok when we are out and going.

Today I was at the children's hospital with cute cute babies like these
This picture is actually from maternity hospital though. We couldn't take any pictures where I was.

I was in the UNIC today, or the NICU in English. Every baby was on a ventilator. The hospital was pretty nice. They did things different there than a lot of what we are taught in nursing school. I really liked working with the nurses there.

There was panic this morning around 10 when all of a sudden the oxygen for the whole unit completely shut off. That's a problem when every baby is on a ventilator with oxygen supplementation. I have never experienced adrenaline like that before as I was in a small isolation room and five baby's sats all began to drop. Using a face mask to pump in some room air, I prayed that the baby I was with would hold out until the oxygen came back on. Every person in the room was bagging a different baby. I didn't feel like it could do much, but room air was better than nothing. The minutes that passed felt like eternity for me as I stood there pulsing breath into the newborn. Everyone was calm - we were all doing what we could.

I took a deep breath myself when the oxygen finally came back on after about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, they had tried opening up some oxygen tanks which didn't work. I don't understand how the oxygen can just go off on a whole unit like that. It scared me. But my baby was ok.

That was an experience I won't forget anytime soon.

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness... that breaks my heart... i would literally be terrified. were the other babies okay as well?

    ReplyDelete